Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DESS system issues - owners post here (actis solution 60533)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [QUOTE=Silver Eagle;n134111]

Having read all the available posts about this DESS battery I was wondering how I might learn how the RS300 shipped to Germany differs in its software since this start problem doesn't seem to have appeared.
    .[/QUOTE

I’ve discussed this with my colleagues in Germany a lot. They haven’t seen it as they don’t cover batteries after the first 6 months, the immediate response was ‘tell the customer to buy a charger, it’s wear and tear’

that doesn’t cut it with us in the UK.
    the software they have is the same as ours just configured to German language and LHD cars. Same battery, same charging systems.
    the key difference between them
    and us is shipping and dealers. Our dealers must charge the battery and confirm it’s A1 prior to delivery but we all know dealers don’t do always do everything required on a new car unless the customer shouts about it... keeping these batteries charged and tip top is key.

Comment

• Not driven the car for a week and only been into the car once, so thought I would pop it on charge.

Popped a volt meter on it first.... 11.63v
      2019 Renault Megane RS30
      2012 Nissan Micra DIG-S

Comment

• [QUOTE=Bman2206;n134118]
        Originally posted by Silver Eagle View Post

Having read all the available posts about this DESS battery I was wondering how I might learn how the RS300 shipped to Germany differs in its software since this start problem doesn't seem to have appeared.
        .[/QUOTE

I’ve discussed this with my colleagues in Germany a lot. They haven’t seen it as they don’t cover batteries after the first 6 months, the immediate response was ‘tell the customer to buy a charger, it’s wear and tear’

that doesn’t cut it with us in the UK.
        the software they have is the same as ours just configured to German language and LHD cars. Same battery, same charging systems.
        the key difference between them
        and us is shipping and dealers. Our dealers must charge the battery and confirm it’s A1 prior to delivery but we all know dealers don’t do always do everything required on a new car unless the customer shouts about it... keeping these batteries charged and tip top is key.
        I love that response from Germany 😂

Why don’t the UK market look at throwing in a Ctek or something similar?

Or just build it into the cost of the car as part of a premium RS delivery pack or something? Give the customer the choice, a standard delivery pack or the Premium RS with battery trickle charger.

Comment

• [QUOTE=Dan;n134124]
          Originally posted by Bman2206 View Post

I love that response from Germany 😂

Why don’t the UK market look at throwing in a Ctek or something similar?

Or just build it into the cost of the car as part of a premium RS delivery pack or something? Give the customer the choice, a standard delivery pack or the Premium RS with battery trickle charger.
          great idea just one issue....some dealers cant even sort the rs monitor for the cars so making sure you get the charger could prove difficult for some of the more challenged dealers out there some cannot give you the right top up oil...say no more

Comment

• That's a shocking response from Germany 6 months with wear and tear I have AA batteries older than that still working
            I wonder what their advice would be if you don't have access to to a power supply where the car is parked probably buy a generator and chain it to the car.

If it is only a 6 month warranty on batteries they must be raking it in at £600 a battery that's the reason they don't care, I suppose at least it is covered for 5 years in the UK.

Comment

• I think Renault should advertise the Trophy as buying a hothatch treat it as an electric: put it on charge when you get home. At least it prepares drivers for when they can only buy electric.
              2019 Renault Megane RS Trophy 300 EDC
              2020 VW T-Cross SEL
              2012 Fiat 500 Twinair
              2007 Renault Megane 2
              ------------------------------------------
              Sports cars are difficult to justify, but easy to love

Comment

• So the battery was totally flat today and I couldn't even open the door without using the emergency key. I connected a ctek mxs3.8 up and it's been on for 3 hours, which according to my multimeter has given about 4.6 volts of charge. I'm going to connect it up again tomorrow, but does that rate of charge sound correct or an I into new battery territory?

Comment

• If its 4.6v after 3 hours, something isn't right! - did you take a reading before setting the charger onto it? RAC might be easier to drag out first.
                  Last edited by SplanK; 06-02-21, 18:25.
                  2019 Renault Megane RS30
                  2012 Nissan Micra DIG-S

Comment

• Annoyingly I didn't take a reading before. Am going to get a booster pack tomorrow and failing that it'll be the RAC ☹️

Comment

• Curious. So after fully charging mine yesterday (and finally deciding to route a dedicated CTEK charge cable through the weather strip at the back of the bonnet so I dont have to unlock and open the bonnet any more!) - my battery was at 11.8 or 11.9v which I was a little surprised about... surely given it was fully charged, it should be >12v less than 24hrs on?! It did however start fine.

How have you got on this morning gutbobs ?
                      2019 Renault Megane RS30
                      2012 Nissan Micra DIG-S

Comment

• A fully charged battery should be around 12.6V -12.7V if it is in the 11's sounds like your battery is knackered.

Be interesting to experiment with it just open the door for 5 mins and see what happens to voltage

Comment

• Originally posted by Mark250 View Post
                          A fully charged battery should be around 12.6V -12.7V if it is in the 11's sounds like your battery is knackered.

Be interesting to experiment with it just open the door for 5 mins and see what happens to voltage
                          Exactly what I was thinking! Although I'm more paranoid/anxious rather than having had a problem.

I tested this morning within probably 3-4 minutes of having the door open so car fully woken up. I then went for a quick drive - 5 or so miles each way with an hour-ish in-between, ensured I left the engine running whilst we were sorting ourselves out. It's been 3 hours since I came home so re-testing without unlocking and opening the doors (using that battery charger cable I installed yesterday) - 12.54v which seems better but on the low side.

I will re-test in the morning after letting it sit over night not on the charger and without unlocking/opening the door to get a reading, then get another reading similar to how I opened the car up this morning.
                          Last edited by SplanK; 07-02-21, 15:42.
                          2019 Renault Megane RS30
                          2012 Nissan Micra DIG-S

Comment

• SplanK , I've had the RAC out this morning. He's jump started it with a booster and got it running before he got me to put the ctek on. I've left it in for 3 hours and then been able to start it, and go for a drive (save as you, about 10 miles).. what have you done with the ctek cable to weather proof it?

I've not checked the battery state just yet, but things aren't quite right just yet. I can't lock the car off the key (I can hear the locks make a clunking noise, but the mirrors stay out and it's not locked), but if I put the key out of range from the car it does lock itself and the mirrors fold. Also, the radio didn't turn off when opening the door and initially, I was in neutral mode, but with the race dash until I changed modes and that sorted itself out.

I think the problem with charging it yesterday was that it was so flat out couldn't lock itself so the car was in a state where the computers were trying to run etc, so the charger was basically trying to power the car target than charge the battery..

Does anybody know any way of checking the battery condition from inside the car?

Fingers crossed for the morning.

Comment

• You can buy a battery monitor for the Ctek and download a app that tells you what power the battery is at.
                              I did consider it for my new car because of these issues but I would be worried that it will use what little power the battery has in storage????

CTEK 40-149 Vehicle Battery Monitor: Amazon.co.uk: Car & Motorbike

Comment

• Originally posted by gutbobs View Post
                                SplanK , I've had the RAC out this morning. He's jump started it with a booster and got it running before he got me to put the ctek on. I've left it in for 3 hours and then been able to start it, and go for a drive (save as you, about 10 miles).. what have you done with the ctek cable to weather proof it?
                                Did RAC test the battery condition other than just giving it a jump? I you can, its best to leave the CTEK on until minimum stage 4 (80% charged) or stage 6 (100% charged), which can take some time. Stage 4 to 6 is a decreasing rate charge so can often feel like you are watching paint dry and scratching your head as to why it taking so long! I have learnt to 'plug in and forget' it now.

Attached picture shows where I have positioned my charge cable - Arrow to where I have bolted negative to, square is where I have routed the cable around the weather strip so the connector sits on the outside of the bonnet on the scuttle panel but avoids contact with the metal of the bonnet. The outside element sits quite far under so should be protected from the elements quite well but my car does live under a car port most of the time! The connector has a protective bung over it, so should be ok for a 'splash', but probably wont like a soaking such as when washing the car in in a heavy down pour so will remove it as and when needed.. I have used the permanent connector that came with the charger it but needs extending and a fuse adding to it, so until then I have used a 2.5m CTEK extension as a temporary hack until I get around to getting some extra wire, crimps and a fuse holder.

Attached Files
                                Last edited by SplanK; 07-02-21, 15:38.
                                2019 Renault Megane RS30
                                2012 Nissan Micra DIG-S

Comment

Working...
                                X