Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DESS system issues - owners post here (actis solution 60533)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SplanK , thanks for the picture that's something I'll consider.

The RAC man did check the battery before jumping it and it was showing 3. something volts. His onboard computer had no info about the Trophy's battery so he had to have a look around before deciding to jump it via a connection under the red cover to the left of the battery.

​​​​​​The ctek was on stage4 when I took it off. I'd love to leave it on for a few more hours, but I've got no garage and live on a main road with a constant stream of people going past and the weather is crap Mark250 , that battery monitor loss interesting, but like you I'm not sure that connecting something else up is a good move. It'd be good if had its own battery back up

Comment

• I have installed the panel mounted version of the CTek quick charge connector in the boot to avoid opening the bonnet every time. I can also monitor the battery voltage through the GPS tracking app which is quite handy. The GPS tracker has a small built in battery so doesn't drain the car battery.

IMG_0447.jpg
      IMG_0449.jpg
      2019 Renault Megane RS Trophy 300 EDC
      2020 VW T-Cross SEL
      2012 Fiat 500 Twinair
      2007 Renault Megane 2
      ------------------------------------------
      Sports cars are difficult to justify, but easy to love

Comment

• gutbobs There are pros and cons to it, if it was cheaper it could be worth a try but at over £40 it may drain the battery in a day and it is a waste of money.

GeoBog That's a neat install how did you run the cable from the battery to the boot?

Comment

• Originally posted by gutbobs View Post
          ​​​​​​The ctek was on stage4 when I took it off. I'd love to leave it on for a few more hours, but I've got no garage and live on a main road with a constant stream of people going past and the weather is crap
          odd that the ctek thought it was almost at capacity, although I often think mine jumps to stage 4 a little too quick.

Originally posted by GeoBog View Post
          I have installed the panel mounted version of the CTek quick charge connector in the boot to avoid opening the bonnet every time. I can also monitor the battery voltage through the GPS tracking app which is quite handy. The GPS tracker has a small built in battery so doesn't drain the car battery.
          That's a bit funky! The main reason for installing mine where I have was to avoid the lock/unlocking scenario which will wake the car back up to disconnect the battery - that and its just a faf.
          Last edited by SplanK; 07-02-21, 17:57.
          2019 Renault Megane RS300 Trophy
          2012 Nissan Micra DIG-S

Comment

• Originally posted by Mark250 View Post
            GeoBog That's a neat install how did you run the cable from the battery to the boot?
            Pulled it through the rubber gromet in the firewall on the passenger foot well where all the other cables come inside the car then routed around the other cables in the sill to the boot.

2020 VW T-Cross SEL
            2012 Fiat 500 Twinair
            2007 Renault Megane 2
            ------------------------------------------
            Sports cars are difficult to justify, but easy to love

Comment

• I'm getting my 2019 Megane 300 Trophy next Tuesday, and reading this has got me worried.

I believe Halfords have what I need. A trickle charger won't be very easy to sort with how my car is on the drive, so I'd probably have to jump it if I have this issue. Would the GB40 1000A NOCO jump starter be ok? If push comes to shove and I have to use the trickle charger, would the CTEK CT5 be what I need? It charges at 3.8amps which, after reading this thread, is the best for the DESS battery.

Comment

• Originally posted by Greg0986 View Post
                I'm getting my 2019 Megane 300 Trophy next Tuesday, and reading this has got me worried.

I believe Halfords have what I need. A trickle charger won't be very easy to sort with how my car is on the drive, so I'd probably have to jump it if I have this issue. Would the GB40 1000A NOCO jump starter be ok? If push comes to shove and I have to use the trickle charger, would the CTEK CT5 be what I need? It charges at 3.8amps which, after reading this thread, is the best for the DESS battery.
                I would not be too worried to be honest, but it is easy to be drawn into it and become overly paranoid about it! Its just something to be aware of that the battery is 'not standard' and of lower capacity. If the car is driven regularly (and by that, at least once a week), and you are not going in/out of your car whilst its parked up, it will be fine!

Temperature however has a massive bearing on a battery, and winter is the season where weak batteries show their ugly face and you will always see more at this time of year.

I have been tracking my battery voltage (I have gone full geek on this, a little obsessive, and I have been bored working from home!), and since the last full charge (12.66v) on Monday 2pm, its now reading 12.38v which is around 75% capacity (this has been done without unlocking the car at any point). I am going to take readings for a few more days (again without driving/unlocking). My target is to see how long it takes for the battery to discharge to 50% capacity (~12.2v) just sat on my drive as you dont really want to let it get too far below that value. Given the initial drop over ~48hrs, its clear to see why Renault are saying it needs to be regularly driven or on a charger! I will then repeat the test with another full charge and open the car a few times in a day which should show how much capacity is lost by just a quick 'lets get something out of the glove box'.

I decided against a Noco jump pack. Whilst they seem to have good reviews, they also dont seem to want to publish their battery capacity and are 'single function'. I suppose as long as it jump starts your car it would be fine but I wanted the reassurance of having a larger capacity unit. Also the single function element put me off, seems like a bit of a waste when there are alternatives that can offer a bit more. I ended up with a MSC Overland Plus - 18ah capacity (almost the capacity of the battery in the car!) with various connectors to fit laptops, 12v accessories socket and USB port with various adapters. I have yet to use it to jump a car yet though! There have been a few others listed throughout the thread.

As for charger, as long as its less than 4ah (which it seems to be), then it should be fine. I have a MXS 3.8 and seems at least a couple of others have as well.
                Last edited by SplanK; 10-02-21, 20:37.
                2019 Renault Megane RS300 Trophy
                2012 Nissan Micra DIG-S

Comment

• That's fantastic, and a very well put together post, thanks! I will hold off buying anything in that case, and see how I get on.

I work in the NHS supporting GP sites with their IT so it will be in use everyday, very rarely will I not use it so I should be fine in that case. I will look into the MSC Overland though, as that would come in very useful not just jump starting the car if it dies.

Comment

• I have a noco jump pack with various extra usb ports and lights etc, will do 16 jump starts on a charge I think. Was invaluable to me before I got my battery replaced!

Comment

• A question for people who have had new batteries fitted and the actis update... does your stop/start ever kick in at all?

I've found out my car had a new battery when it was the dealer managers car and has also had the update done, but I still get the odd low battery warning and not once has the stop start worked.

I don't particularly like stop start and it wouldn't make much difference on the journeys I do, but it indicates to me there's still a problem somewhere

Comment

• Originally posted by Greg0986 View Post
                        That's fantastic, and a very well put together post, thanks! I will hold off buying anything in that case, and see how I get on.

I work in the NHS supporting GP sites with their IT so it will be in use everyday, very rarely will I not use it so I should be fine in that case. I will look into the MSC Overland though, as that would come in very useful not just jump starting the car if it dies.
                        I’d echo what SplanK says. I have had my Trophy (manual) since May. It sat for 3 months in the dealership awaiting delivery. When it arrived I was all excited but couldn’t drive anywhere so sat in the car setting up all the phone features, sat Nav and drive mode settings. I had the engine off. Within 20 minutes it cut out and wouldn’t start.

I jump started it and touch wood since then I’ve had no issues and am just very careful not to put any load whatsoever on the battery with the engine off. Lately I’ve sometimes not started the car for well over a week and it’s been spot on. I have always driven with stop start disabled.

I think the awareness of the issue is a great benefit but unless you are one of the unlucky ones, of which there are a few on here, I would hope you don’t have an issue.

Comment

• Originally posted by resolve10 View Post
                          A question for people who have had new batteries fitted and the actis update... does your stop/start ever kick in at all?

I've found out my car had a new battery when it was the dealer managers car and has also had the update done, but I still get the odd low battery warning and not once has the stop start worked.

I don't particularly like stop start and it wouldn't make much difference on the journeys I do, but it indicates to me there's still a problem somewhere
                          The stop start kicks in occasionally, if the outside temp is high and the a/c is working hard (which is often in this part of the world) it usually won't or when the engine is warming up. But it really is random, most of the time, also most times I just switch it off anyway., I'm no fan either fo stop start.

Comment

• Originally posted by resolve10 View Post
                            A question for people who have had new batteries fitted and the actis update... does your stop/start ever kick in at all?

My car situation is the same, battery replaced and then got the actis update applied before I collected the car from the dealer (dealer manager ran the car for a year initially).
                            I've found that the car still tells me about low battery now and again but this is usual behaviour for cars with the DESS battery fitted. As for the stop start, it kicked in a few days ago on a longer drive than usual, so it's still there just doesn't happen much these days with the infrequent shorter journeys I'm making.

Comment

• This is worrying given I am meant to be collecting Friday. Thinking twice now.

Comment

• Do not change your (good) choice because of this battery problem.
                                If you are aware of it, you can live with the car absolutely fine and if the battery should go really bad, you can get it replaced under warranty.
                                One thing to ask before collection is if the Actis solution is applied to your car, as it supposedly helps with battery drain.
                                Last edited by Raghza; 17-02-21, 05:25.

Comment

Working...
                                X