Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DESS system issues - owners post here (actis solution 60533)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It probably wont be just the RLink system thats awake, but other body/system controls.

AS I have to move my car down the drive from under the car port to wash/hoover it, I will either leave it running, or just have it plugged in on charge throughout.
    2019 Renault Megane RS30
    2012 Nissan Micra DIG-S

Comment

• Originally posted by Champion Hero View Post
      I wonder if its possible to use DDT4ALL to disable the screen etc when the car is off but unlocked after a few minutes or something
      I think that's likely what killed it - the ICE just sits there with the clock on it (no radio) and the dash is also on - guessing that drains it. Its not really a fix as it shouldn't happen IMHO, but, if its a possible work-around fix I'd be tempted to try it.

Got my car booked into Renault anyway - they are going to run some tests on the battery and replace if needed. Mentioned the Actis code to them too.
      My car had a replacement battery at 4 months and the Actis fix (it was the dealer managers car), but it still throws low battery warnings and error messages if I spend a couple of hours cleaning it. Unfortunately, it's not a full solution (I dread to think how bad they are without the update!)

Originally posted by SplanK View Post
      It probably wont be just the RLink system thats awake, but other body/system controls.

AS I have to move my car down the drive from under the car port to wash/hoover it, I will either leave it running, or just have it plugged in on charge throughout.
      Starting the engine a couple of times and only moving it a short distance is probably quite a drain on the battery too.
      Last edited by resolve10; 02-03-21, 09:21.

Comment

• Hi.

New here, bought my Megane RS 300(regular version) and it may be a stupid question but how do you know if you have a regular battery or this DESS battery?
        I asked the salesman which one i have and they didn't know....

Comment

• Originally posted by Marko View Post
          Hi.

New here, bought my Megane RS 300(regular version) and it may be a stupid question but how do you know if you have a regular battery or this DESS battery?
          The car manual states there should be a DESS sticker on the intake above the battery, but I've been told it could be that the sticker was not put on by mistake. But I have a non-trophy RS300 and I don't expect to have a DESS battery.

Comment

• The sticker is a hit & miss, depends on whether the dealer fitted it or not. You can also check by carefully lifting the battery cover and try to have a peak on the battery label, should look like in the pictures in this post:

https://www.renaultsportclub.co.uk/f...423#post129423
            Last edited by GeoBog; 02-03-21, 14:40.
            2019 Renault Megane RS Trophy 300 EDC
            2020 VW T-Cross SEL
            2012 Fiat 500 Twinair
            2007 Renault Megane 2
            ------------------------------------------
            Sports cars are difficult to justify, but easy to love

Comment

Hi.

AFAIK, the regular versions have the regular battery. The DESS is a Trophy specific part.

Comment

• Thanks for the replies.
                I managed to peek under the "shroud" and the label said:
                12-L1 VRLA 50 Ah 570A
                So the battery is lead acid as VRLA stands for valve regulated lead acid.

Comment

• Thanks for sharing the capacity of the standard battery, I've been asking for this for ages. That is interesting that the standard battery seems to be made by Varta in Germany. Part no 244100356R which seems to be replaced by 244100685R and is around £186 at the moment.

2021-03-03 10_36_13-Start.png 2021-03-03 10_36_44-Start.png
                  2020 VW T-Cross SEL
                  2012 Fiat 500 Twinair
                  2007 Renault Megane 2

Comment

• The part number on mine is 24410 6074R.

So what i have learned from this forum is:
                    - Trophy R has a DESS battery with Li-ion and capacitors.
                    - Trophy has a DESS battery with lead acid and capacitors (based on the pictures posted on this forum the capacity is 19 Ah)
                    - Regular RS 280 or 300 has lead acid 50 Ah.

In my opinion(based on basic physical characteristics of capacitors) the capacitors in the DESS are used for the startup of the car.
                    While the 19 Ah lead acid battery is used to charge the capacitors and of course run all other electronics.
                    Since the capacitor need some time to fully charge it would be interesting to see if the car can startup, shutdown and startup again in a very short time.
                    The 19 Ah capacity of the lead acid battery is very small so there should be no surprise as to why the battery drains fast.
                    Even 50 Ah is not that big i think the Golf GTI has 60 Ah as standard.

Comment

• Originally posted by Champion Hero View Post
                      Chalk up a failure on my end now.
                      Had multiple "Low Battery" warnings over the past year, lots of slow unlocks etc - then Sat (27/02/21), I washed the car (Moved it from my bay > Mrs bay > Back), and had the door open whilst I hoovered it and that was enough to kill the battery again.
                      RAC came as it wouldn't jump - told me the battery has failed the 'midtronics test'. Only had around 4-5v left in it. Got it started but seems even washing it is enough to kill it now...
                      Just an update on my side.
                      Car died again this morning - was driven for around 45 minutes on the weekend after RAC had been, then again last night (just to town and back, but was left running idle whilst sitting in it).
                      Started the car this morning and started absolutely fine - drove maybe 100m to the end of our shared drive, started to turn out, then everything cut out. Attempted to start the car which would start then cut out. Started to roll it down the hill to bump it on the kerb, then all power went, power steering locked which meant handbrake on in the middle of the road or through my neighbours front room..
                      Attempted to jump from a NOCO - no joy. RAC out, couldn't jump it either. Ran some more tests and ECU/EM are now showing as failed.
                      They have now towed to Renault for further diagnostics. Will keep you posted!

Comment

The part number on mine is 24410 6074R.

- Trophy has a DESS battery with lead acid and capacitors (based on the pictures posted on this forum the capacity is 19 Ah)

In my opinion(based on basic physical characteristics of capacitors) the capacitors in the DESS are used for the startup of the car.
                        While the 19 Ah lead acid battery is used to charge the capacitors and of course run all other electronics.
                        Since the capacitor need some time to fully charge it would be interesting to see if the car can startup, shutdown and startup again in a very short time.
                        The 19 Ah capacity of the lead acid battery is very small so there should be no surprise as to why the battery drains fast.
                        Yes 50Ah is quite small, my old Focus RS had a 75Ah battery

Champion Hero that is not good being stranded in the middle of the road, was that with a brand new battery?
                        Did the dealer do any updates when you took it in before?

Comment

The part number on mine is 24410 6074R.

If we are talking about MK7 GTI it comes in two varieties depending on the climate: 59Ah-640A and 60Ah-480A. I had two MK7 GTIs and they both had the 60Ah version. Strangely VW run their batteries pretty low on voltage, my CTek comfort connector was always flashing red and the battery would not hold above 12.4V even fully charged and it never left me stranded. The battery in the T-Cross I have as daily driver is the same, won't go above 12.4-12.5V and it often sits at 11.9-12.1V and the darn thing starts perfectly every time.
                          2020 VW T-Cross SEL
                          2012 Fiat 500 Twinair
                          2007 Renault Megane 2

Comment

• Originally posted by Mark250 View Post

Champion Hero that is not good being stranded in the middle of the road, was that with a brand new battery?
                            That is a pretty big battery, usually find those on diesels. Not sure what's with 4wd cars, strangely the Golf R used to come with 70Ah battery.
                            2020 VW T-Cross SEL
                            2012 Fiat 500 Twinair
                            2007 Renault Megane 2

Comment

• Originally posted by Mark250 View Post

That's still with the original one - it was booked to go in this coming weekend. Its obviously past the point where it can hold a charge for long though.
                              I've mentioned the Actis solution to them and they've looked it up and said that it apparently changes something to do with the charge cycles and may be able to bring mine back with a reflash. We'll have to see though.
                              Kinda hoping they just put a new battery in at this point though.

Comment

• Originally posted by GeoBog View Post

That is a pretty big battery, usually find those on diesels. Not sure what's with 4wd cars, strangely the Golf R used to come with 70Ah battery.
                                Yeah it was, never let me down though over 4 years, my ctek was always flashing red as well I just put it down to the dash camera though taking that little extra charge.

Comment

Working...
                                X