Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DESS system issues - owners post here (actis solution 60533)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Sorry to say I have finally joined the ranks of this saga. My 19 plate 300 Trophy died on me after a short visit to Bournemouth. I got it going with my boost starter and drove 150 miles without problems. It was then fully charged. Two days later drove 24 miles parked the car and minutes later when I tried to start it the battery was completely dead. I couldn’t even get the boot to open. Car is now in at John Banks Renault, Cambridge although they don’t have the time to look at it until the 30th . Just had a call from dealer, new battery being fitted will be ready later today. Amazing how quick they things done when you insist on being given a courtesy car
    Last edited by Boris1642; 22-04-21, 09:16.

    Comment


    • New to this forum, but Loooooooooooooooooong time Renault Fanboy/owner:



      Currently driving a MK4 Megane GT which has been as good as gold throughout all of lockdown, left on the drive, and starts up whenever I go to it.

      Always wanted to step up to a full-fat Megane RS and ordered a new MK4 Facelift in October 2020, here we are in April 2021 and I'm still waiting for the effing thing! (That's another story...) Whenever it arrives, I'm now annoyed to learn it's going to be treat with kid gloves because of the battery.

      ​Don't think I've read on here why the software on the car would need changing to allow a standard higher amp-hour battery to the car? Surely a DESS or Regular battery both store energy??
      Last edited by bigstevet; 23-05-21, 21:59.

      Comment


      • Originally posted by bigstevet View Post
        ​Don't think I've read on here why the software on the car would need changing to allow a standard higher amp-hour battery to the car? Surely a DESS or Regular battery both store energy??
        Its down to the way the energy is generated. The ultra capacitors have the ability to absorbed a lot of energy quickly so the alternator will be tuned to suite, Although the amount of energy capable of being stored in these caps will be minimal compared to a LA battery. Its a bit like swapping an AMG battery for an EFB battery, they have different charging characteristics and thus the car needs to be told how to handle it otherwise you either under charge the battery, or fry it very quick!!

        Its the curse of modern cars, they are heavily software driven these days to try and keep up with emissions standards and the desire for 'more better' things!

        One thing I am seeing on here, is that when these DESS batteries go bad..... they go back quick once they start going! Probably because they are so small any hammering away at them when they start to go bad just accelerates the demise, where as a standard LA battery would cope for a lot longer



        2019 Renault Megane RS300 Trophy
        2012 Nissan Micra DIG-S

        Comment


        • Originally posted by SplanK View Post

          The ultra capacitors have the ability to absorbed a lot of energy quickly so the alternator will be tuned to suite, Although the amount of energy capable of being stored in these caps will be minimal compared to a LA battery.
          Yeah SplanK , As you say the Capacitors take a lot of energy fast, but not a lot is stored... That aligns with what a few people have said in this thread "they got a flat car going, and then drove it for 30 odd miles and it put a little bit of charge into the battery, but it wasn't enough to then re-start the car... this makes me think that the Alternator is actually putting out a low charging voltage (as it’s feeding the DESS battery) so fitting a more “regular” battery could cope with it??*

          Might be interesting to monitor what the alternator is actually putting out to the DESS on a drive (Connect a multi-meter)?*

          *Of course these are the inane ramblings of a plastics engineer who’s fiddled with cars for a number of years as a hobbyist whilst Bman2206 fights to find the real solution
          Last edited by bigstevet; 22-04-21, 12:48.

          Comment


          • Just realised how bad my grammar is on that post! Caps are great at accepting energy quickly, but dont store a lot it should ready!

            As for exactly what it does, not sure. Voltage is only part of the game when it comes to smart alternators. They tend to 'pulse' on and off just just sitting their watching voltage may not do much good. There will be good reason why its documented within the hand book that a standard LA battery can only be used for emergency use
            Last edited by SplanK; 22-04-21, 21:54.
            2019 Renault Megane RS300 Trophy
            2012 Nissan Micra DIG-S

            Comment


            • Originally posted by bigstevet View Post

              Yeah SplanK , As you say the Capacitors take a lot of energy fast, but not a lot is stored... That aligns with what a few people have said in this thread "they got a flat car going, and then drove it for 30 odd miles and it put a little bit of charge into the battery, but it wasn't enough to then re-start the car... this makes me think that the Alternator is actually putting out a low charging voltage (as it’s feeding the DESS battery) so fitting a more “regular” battery could cope with it??*

              Might be interesting to monitor what the alternator is actually putting out to the DESS on a drive (Connect a multi-meter)?*

              *Of course these are the inane ramblings of a plastics engineer who’s fiddled with cars for a number of years as a hobbyist whilst Bman2206 fights to find the real solution
              Voltage is quite high actually, I have a multimeter connected permanently to the cig socket and in deceleration it goes up to 15V. Problem with these is that the alternator is providing charge predominantly during deceleration. Sometimes at idle it does not provide any charge, I often see 11.xV at idle. If you have it in Sport or Race, it barely charges as it disengages the alternator to provide all the engine power available to the drive train. The capacitors store little energy, they are probably good for only one engine start, anything after that if the small 19Ah battery is not charged then God bless.
              2019 Renault Megane RS Trophy 300 EDC
              2020 VW T-Cross SEL
              2012 Fiat 500 Twinair
              2007 Renault Megane 2
              ------------------------------------------
              Sports cars are difficult to justify, but easy to love

              Comment


              • Hi I'm from Australia and having the same issue in my 2021 Megane phase 2. Can't leave the doors open for more then 5min, get a battery standby mode message but tyying to start the car results in numerous error messages and beeps.

                Have had the road side assist out twice to jump it. Dealer was really good and replaced it under warranty after the 2nd call out, but just washed the car today and same issue.

                Comment


                • New member to the forum and after only owning the car for a week.... today my 300 trophy has decided to break down on the driveway. RAC came and jumped the battery and then I've drove it down to my local Renault dealer and left it with them. Very disappointed that there seems to be no proper solution to the problem.

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by Williams91 View Post
                    New member to the forum and after only owning the car for a week.... today my 300 trophy has decided to break down on the driveway. RAC came and jumped the battery and then I've drove it down to my local Renault dealer and left it with them. Very disappointed that there seems to be no proper solution to the problem.
                    Even more annoying is that the view, that there isn't a problem in the first place when ever you speak to a dealer, I'm referring to Aus. but it seems like things aren't all that different in the UK.
                    2019 Renault Megane RS Trophy 300 EDC

                    Comment


                    • think if i still had my trophy i would be fitting and trying a standard battery...bit like mr ocon had done

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by Williams91 View Post
                        New member to the forum and after only owning the car for a week.... today my 300 trophy has decided to break down on the driveway. RAC came and jumped the battery and then I've drove it down to my local Renault dealer and left it with them. Very disappointed that there seems to be no proper solution to the problem.
                        New battery and ACTIS software update applied to cure. We monitor failures and after application of the update we have way fewer issues than before.
                        I still have 2 test cars that are left for weeks and have no battery issues with DESS units fitted and updated software. Both registered in September last year and both only done 2000 miles..

                        you can fit a standard battery but only for emergencies, if you fit one and leave it on and experience a problem it may take longer to fix and we don’t know at this point what damage may occur not having the DESS fitted may cause.

                        im always happy to help anyone with a battery issue.

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by foxspeed View Post
                          think if i still had my trophy i would be fitting and trying a standard battery...bit like mr ocon had done
                          you are a lucky man you have a Yaris then Mr Fox…

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by Bman2206 View Post

                            New battery and ACTIS software update applied to cure. We monitor failures and after application of the update we have way fewer issues than before.
                            I still have 2 test cars that are left for weeks and have no battery issues with DESS units fitted and updated software. Both registered in September last year and both only done 2000 miles..

                            you can fit a standard battery but only for emergencies, if you fit one and leave it on and experience a problem it may take longer to fix and we don’t know at this point what damage may occur not having the DESS fitted may cause.

                            im always happy to help anyone with a battery issue.
                            Thanks for your help. Apparently the previous owner had a new battery fitted about 6 months ago. Car is 2019 reg. I will see what the dealer says when they ring me tomorrow but I will tell them about the Actis update which I would like doing. Going to buy a ctek trickle charger and a noco jump pack anyway for peace of mind.

                            Comment


                            • Hi Bman2206, I think I need to get my car into a dealer to get the battery/charging system checked. It's a Trophy from June 2019.

                              I've done a 50 Mile round trip today starting with 1 mile to the petrol station where I got the "hold key card to dash" warning and then after I got back home I locked the car and the alarm went off followed by not being able to restart the car.

                              My questions are - am I better off getting the car to a Renault Retail Group garage or will any dealer do? Do I need to let you know the VIN/reg plate?

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by gutbobs View Post
                                Hi Bman2206, I think I need to get my car into a dealer to get the battery/charging system checked. It's a Trophy from June 2019.

                                I've done a 50 Mile round trip today starting with 1 mile to the petrol station where I got the "hold key card to dash" warning and then after I got back home I locked the car and the alarm went off followed by not being able to restart the car.

                                My questions are - am I better off getting the car to a Renault Retail Group garage or will any dealer do? Do I need to let you know the VIN/reg plate?
                                Any good Renault dealer… get it booked in and send me a DM of your vehicle details and who you booked it with and I can give them a call

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X