Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DESS system issues - owners post here (actis solution 60533)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    Thanks Barnaby,
    Looks like I may be busy when I get get back from my leave.

    Comment


    • #32
      Originally posted by Bman2206 View Post
      Apologies should have added it on original post
      Solution number is 60533. I’ll look at build dates when im back online Monday

      Barnaby
      Many thanks for this Barnaby.
      It is encouraging to see some accountability & progress from RUK around this issue!
      Although I’ve personally had no problems so far, as my car is used fairly regularly and trickle charged, it does seem to be a ‘ticking time bomb’ problem.
      Is the plan to notify all affected owners in advance for a dedicated problem fix, or just leave as part of the routine annual service schedule? It feels like a dedicated recall would be more appropriate.

      Comment


      • #33
        Originally posted by Blindside View Post

        Many thanks for this Barnaby.
        It is encouraging to see some accountability & progress from RUK around this issue!
        Although I’ve personally had no problems so far, as my car is used fairly regularly and trickle charged, it does seem to be a ‘ticking time bomb’ problem.
        Is the plan to notify all affected owners in advance for a dedicated problem fix, or just leave as part of the routine annual service schedule? It feels like a dedicated recall would be more appropriate.
        I’ve spoken to all of Europe on this one and we are the only market having the issue. Germany sell as many RS as us but don’t seem to see battery failure.
        At this time no there is no plan to notify as not everyone has the issue, it’s really dependent on use and battery maintenance.

        A recall is only ever issued for safety related items, anything else can be dealt with on a customer complaint basis. The thing is when the car is running the battery won’t fail as it’s getting a charge, it’s when you stop, wash the car, display the car in a club stand etc and then try to restart that you find the battery is low due to the lights, radio being on each time a door is open, having drained it.

        Every dealer has been advised about our battery storage maintenance program and how all cars must have the battery charged before collection and it’s part of every service to check that state of health as well

        Comment


        • #34
          Originally posted by red21 View Post
          Thanks Barnaby,
          Looks like I may be busy when I get get back from my leave.
          Sorry buddy.

          Comment


          • #35
            Originally posted by Bman2206 View Post

            I’ve spoken to all of Europe on this one and we are the only market having the issue. Germany sell as many RS as us but don’t seem to see battery failure.
            At this time no there is no plan to notify as not everyone has the issue, it’s really dependent on use and battery maintenance.

            A recall is only ever issued for safety related items, anything else can be dealt with on a customer complaint basis. The thing is when the car is running the battery won’t fail as it’s getting a charge, it’s when you stop, wash the car, display the car in a club stand etc and then try to restart that you find the battery is low due to the lights, radio being on each time a door is open, having drained it.

            Every dealer has been advised about our battery storage maintenance program and how all cars must have the battery charged before collection and it’s part of every service to check that state of health as well
            That's not good for me as when I go fishing to France it takes me a couple of hours to pack the car with boot and doors open so I will have to have it on charge on the drive and engine running in France as it is in the middle of nowhere

            With the new 300 having a "normal" battery isn't it a option to fit one to the Trophy with a software update as the specs are the same except bolt on parts?

            Comment


            • #36
              Originally posted by Bman2206 View Post

              I’ve spoken to all of Europe on this one and we are the only market having the issue. Germany sell as many RS as us but don’t seem to see battery failure.
              At this time no there is no plan to notify as not everyone has the issue, it’s really dependent on use and battery maintenance.

              A recall is only ever issued for safety related items, anything else can be dealt with on a customer complaint basis. The thing is when the car is running the battery won’t fail as it’s getting a charge, it’s when you stop, wash the car, display the car in a club stand etc and then try to restart that you find the battery is low due to the lights, radio being on each time a door is open, having drained it.

              Every dealer has been advised about our battery storage maintenance program and how all cars must have the battery charged before collection and it’s part of every service to check that state of health as well
              Sounds as if this issue is partly down to UK dealers who don’t fully understand/have a good working knowledge about the RS product they were responsible for selling & maintaining. Perhaps it’s different in Europe, especially Germany with its high level of consumer protection legislation.

              Unfortunately it doesn’t surprise me. With a few notable exceptions in my experience, (5 RS Meganes in the last 10 years), most of the in depth RS expertise is to be found outside the mainstream Renault UK dealer network.

              Please be reassured that I am not ‘having a pop’ at you Barnaby. Greatly appreciate the openness & respect you’ve shown to owners over this.

              Comment


              • #37
                Originally posted by Mark250 View Post

                That's not good for me as when I go fishing to France it takes me a couple of hours to pack the car with boot and doors open so I will have to have it on charge on the drive and engine running in France as it is in the middle of nowhere

                With the new 300 having a "normal" battery isn't it a option to fit one to the Trophy with a software update as the specs are the same except bolt on parts?
                I’ll double check the car at work tomorrow but I’m sure the new RS300 has the same DESS battery as all phase 1 trophies.

                Comment


                • #38
                  Originally posted by Bman2206 View Post

                  I’ll double check the car at work tomorrow but I’m sure the new RS300 has the same DESS battery as all phase 1 trophies.
                  Only reason I asked is since putting my deposit down I have read the brochure about 20 times and it has the lightweight battery mentioned as standard in trophy and not in 300
                  battery info.JPG

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    Originally posted by Bman2206 View Post
                    I’ve spoken to all of Europe on this one and we are the only market having the issue.
                    I'm from Estonia and my dealership is definitely very aware of this issue. Have had problems starting my car after a lengthy interior cleaning with the ceiling lights on etc, but the battery diagnostics at the dealership have come back showing no problems.
                    We have an agreement that if the problem should start to disturb my daily life (car won't starting after just sitting for a few days etc) then the battery will get replaced.
                    I will also point them towards the ACTIS solution if that should help.

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      morning
                      ok just to add build range is the following -
                      01/01/18 04/03/20
                      so any RS Trophy between January 2018 to March 2020 can have this solution applied.

                      Barnaby

                      Comment


                      • #41
                        Super helpful info, thank you. Do we need a "reason" to get the update done, or can we just book it in? My car has a recently replaced battery so no issues at the moment but I'm sure the update would be useful anyway to protect the new battery? I guess it's probably a question for my local dealer.
                        ​​​

                        Comment


                        • #42
                          Originally posted by BlueJack View Post
                          Super helpful info, thank you. Do we need a "reason" to get the update done, or can we just book it in? My car has a recently replaced battery so no issues at the moment but I'm sure the update would be useful anyway to protect the new battery? I guess it's probably a question for my local dealer.
                          ​​​
                          Technically you need to have a failure to have it done as its on customer complaint only at the moment, So id ask the dealer if when the battery was replaced did they do the software update and go from there... if you have any issues drop me a line on here via forum or messages.


                          Comment


                          • #43
                            OK, so just the facts here to inform other Mk4 owners.
                            My car was built in Jan 20 & sold new to me/registered in March. I had a few issues with weak starting during the lockdown period, but no complete system failure. As a result I’ve used a smart trickle charger for the past few months as a precaution.
                            I booked the car earlier today into my local RS accredited dealer (Charles Hurst Belfast) highlighting the ACTIS solution & reference number provided on here. Their Master Tech ran the battery management software diagnostics & apparently the battery failed, although the car is still safe to drive.
                            The end result is a new battery has now been ordered to be fitted during the 1st week of Nov. All this of course is under warranty. You can draw your own conclusions.

                            Comment


                            • #44
                              Originally posted by Bman2206 View Post

                              Technically you need to have a failure to have it done as its on customer complaint only at the moment, So id ask the dealer if when the battery was replaced did they do the software update and go from there... if you have any issues drop me a line on here via forum or messages.

                              Thanks, I did ask at the time and they were very vague and didn't seem to know about it (a few months ago now) even when pressed I couldn't get a straight answer out of them, so I don't think it ever got done.

                              Comment


                              • #45
                                After the battery running empty on the weekend during a car wash, today this software update was applied to my car.
                                I can report this weekend, if it helped or not.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X