Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DESS system issues - owners post here (actis solution 60533)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The DESS battery is 8.3kg if anyone wants to know. The RS280 standard battery is around 15.9kg so almost double weight.
    2019 Renault Megane RS Trophy 300 EDC
    2020 VW T-Cross SEL
    2012 Fiat 500 Twinair
    2007 Renault Megane 2
    ------------------------------------------
    Sports cars are difficult to justify, but easy to love

Comment

8kg is a lot in racing but let’s be honest nobody is ever going to notice that weight day to day or even on track unless they are pushing the car 100%

Comment

I agree. I would take a normal battery over 7.5kgs every day.

Comment

Definitely, however at the moment Renault are adamant that the 50Ah battery from the RS 280 cannot be fitted to the Trophy long term because of the hybridisation configuration, i.e. brake regeneration and they prefer to mess about with workarounds like reducing the time ACC current stays on (try doing OBD changes or diagnose on a 2-3 minutes timer, see how it is).They failed to explain exactly why can't the car be configured for a normal battery, it's probably more profitable when the warranty expires and the owners have to come up with excess of £600 to replace the DESS battery which only comes from Renault compared to buying a standard battery for <£100 which can be bought aftermarket. I doubt there is extra hardware on the Trophy since the alternator is exactly the same part from Bosch as the one on the 280 so everything must be done from software.
          2019 Renault Megane RS Trophy 300 EDC
          2020 VW T-Cross SEL
          2012 Fiat 500 Twinair
          2007 Renault Megane 2
          ------------------------------------------
          Sports cars are difficult to justify, but easy to love

Comment

Is it normal for the "battery low start engine" warning to appear after approx. 10-15 mins sitting in the car with nothing switched on ?

Happened to me the other day while the little'un was eating her happy meal and wiping her greasy mitts all over the dashboard.

Car started fine and has been fine ever since, its used pretty much everyday.

Comment

Originally posted by doncarlyon View Post
              Is it normal for the "battery low start engine" warning to appear after approx. 10-15 mins sitting in the car with nothing switched on ?

Happened to me the other day while the little'un was eating her happy meal and wiping her greasy mitts all over the dashboard.

Car started fine and has been fine ever since, its used pretty much everyday.

Yes the battery management system is saying if you carry on the battery may be too low to start the vehicle so its advising you to put a charge in. we have similar in all Renault vehicles, just the RS Trophy has the DESS battery and the draw time is shorter as the battery AH is lower.

Comment

That's the problem with a 19ah battery trying to power all the screens and electrical stuff in modern cars

Comment

OK fair enough, must have just been the instrument cluster taking the power. In future I'll just leave it running

Comment

Originally posted by Mark250 View Post
                    8kg is a lot in racing but let’s be honest nobody is ever going to notice that weight day to day or even on track unless they are pushing the car 100%
                    if you have a good dump you could easily lose 3kg

Comment

2 flushes ?

Comment

Originally posted by foxspeed View Post

if you have a good dump you could easily lose 3kg
                        I was thinking that but didn’t want to say it 😂

Comment

Originally posted by Stevie View Post
                          2 flushes ?
                          i would say a 3 flusher for 3kg!

Comment

Hi all. Thinking of getting a dashcam installed and hardwired. Worried about battery drain if the parking mode is activated. Does anyone have experience of having a dashcam permanently on? Cheers.

Comment

Originally posted by Meg#3 View Post
                              Hi all. Thinking of getting a dashcam installed and hardwired. Worried about battery drain if the parking mode is activated. Does anyone have experience of having a dashcam permanently on? Cheers.
                              I have just bought a new dash cam and cellink neo 6 dash cam battery ready for when I get my Trophy.

I had my old dashcam fitted to my Focus RS set on parking mode with a power magic pro and that had a 75ah battery and it still stopped the stop start from working (not a bad thing ​​​​​​​) with daily 60 mile trips so I am not taking any chances with the tiny battery in the trophy as it will be flat in 30 mins.

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply. Will look into the backup power supply. Looks like the cheap Black Friday deal is going to need some manmaths!!

Comment

Working...
                                X