Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DESS system issues - owners post here (actis solution 60533)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GeoBog
    replied
    Originally posted by bigstevet View Post

Yeah SplanK , As you say the Capacitors take a lot of energy fast, but not a lot is stored... That aligns with what a few people have said in this thread "they got a flat car going, and then drove it for 30 odd miles and it put a little bit of charge into the battery, but it wasn't enough to then re-start the car... this makes me think that the Alternator is actually putting out a low charging voltage (as it’s feeding the DESS battery) so fitting a more “regular” battery could cope with it??*

Might be interesting to monitor what the alternator is actually putting out to the DESS on a drive (Connect a multi-meter)?*

*Of course these are the inane ramblings of a plastics engineer who’s fiddled with cars for a number of years as a hobbyist whilst Bman2206 fights to find the real solution
    Voltage is quite high actually, I have a multimeter connected permanently to the cig socket and in deceleration it goes up to 15V. Problem with these is that the alternator is providing charge predominantly during deceleration. Sometimes at idle it does not provide any charge, I often see 11.xV at idle. If you have it in Sport or Race, it barely charges as it disengages the alternator to provide all the engine power available to the drive train. The capacitors store little energy, they are probably good for only one engine start, anything after that if the small 19Ah battery is not charged then God bless.

Leave a comment:

• SplanK
    replied
    Just realised how bad my grammar is on that post! Caps are great at accepting energy quickly, but dont store a lot it should ready!

As for exactly what it does, not sure. Voltage is only part of the game when it comes to smart alternators. They tend to 'pulse' on and off just just sitting their watching voltage may not do much good. There will be good reason why its documented within the hand book that a standard LA battery can only be used for emergency use
    Last edited by SplanK; 22-04-21, 21:54.

Leave a comment:

• bigstevet
    replied
    Originally posted by SplanK View Post

The ultra capacitors have the ability to absorbed a lot of energy quickly so the alternator will be tuned to suite, Although the amount of energy capable of being stored in these caps will be minimal compared to a LA battery.
    Yeah SplanK , As you say the Capacitors take a lot of energy fast, but not a lot is stored... That aligns with what a few people have said in this thread "they got a flat car going, and then drove it for 30 odd miles and it put a little bit of charge into the battery, but it wasn't enough to then re-start the car... this makes me think that the Alternator is actually putting out a low charging voltage (as it’s feeding the DESS battery) so fitting a more “regular” battery could cope with it??*

Might be interesting to monitor what the alternator is actually putting out to the DESS on a drive (Connect a multi-meter)?*

*Of course these are the inane ramblings of a plastics engineer who’s fiddled with cars for a number of years as a hobbyist whilst Bman2206 fights to find the real solution
    Last edited by bigstevet; 22-04-21, 12:48.

Leave a comment:

• SplanK
    replied
    Originally posted by bigstevet View Post
    ​Don't think I've read on here why the software on the car would need changing to allow a standard higher amp-hour battery to the car? Surely a DESS or Regular battery both store energy??
    Its down to the way the energy is generated. The ultra capacitors have the ability to absorbed a lot of energy quickly so the alternator will be tuned to suite, Although the amount of energy capable of being stored in these caps will be minimal compared to a LA battery. Its a bit like swapping an AMG battery for an EFB battery, they have different charging characteristics and thus the car needs to be told how to handle it otherwise you either under charge the battery, or fry it very quick!!

Its the curse of modern cars, they are heavily software driven these days to try and keep up with emissions standards and the desire for 'more better' things!

One thing I am seeing on here, is that when these DESS batteries go bad..... they go back quick once they start going! Probably because they are so small any hammering away at them when they start to go bad just accelerates the demise, where as a standard LA battery would cope for a lot longer

Leave a comment:

• bigstevet
    replied
    New to this forum, but Loooooooooooooooooong time Renault Fanboy/owner:

Fleet.jpg

Currently driving a MK4 Megane GT which has been as good as gold throughout all of lockdown, left on the drive, and starts up whenever I go to it.

Always wanted to step up to a full-fat Megane RS and ordered a new MK4 Facelift in October 2020, here we are in April 2021 and I'm still waiting for the effing thing! (That's another story...) Whenever it arrives, I'm now annoyed to learn it's going to be treat with kid gloves because of the battery.

​Don't think I've read on here why the software on the car would need changing to allow a standard higher amp-hour battery to the car? Surely a DESS or Regular battery both store energy??

Leave a comment:

• Boris1642
    replied
    Sorry to say I have finally joined the ranks of this saga. My 19 plate 300 Trophy died on me after a short visit to Bournemouth. I got it going with my boost starter and drove 150 miles without problems. It was then fully charged. Two days later drove 24 miles parked the car and minutes later when I tried to start it the battery was completely dead. I couldn’t even get the boot to open. Car is now in at John Banks Renault, Cambridge although they don’t have the time to look at it until the 30th . Just had a call from dealer, new battery being fitted will be ready later today. Amazing how quick they things done when you insist on being given a courtesy car
    Last edited by Boris1642; 22-04-21, 09:16.

Leave a comment:

• SplanK
    replied
    Originally posted by resolve10 View Post
    Two months into ownership now and after a couple of wobbles, it's finally let me down completely. It made a laboured attempt to fire up the starter motor and then refused to do anything more, and is now stuck in a reboot loop displaying the (rather specific) error messages 'childlocks decativated' and 'rear electric windows unlocked' !!

Worse still I attempted to jump start it from the wife's Mini but it made no difference.

Totally unacceptable for a 12 month old car. Have had to let down a customer I was supposed to be visiting this afternoon.
    How have you got on with your situation?

Leave a comment:

• doncarlyon
    replied
    Get it into a dealership asap, quote the info in the first post on here.

Leave a comment:

• resolve10
    replied
    Two months into ownership now and after a couple of wobbles, it's finally let me down completely. It made a laboured attempt to fire up the starter motor and then refused to do anything more, and is now stuck in a reboot loop displaying the (rather specific) error messages 'childlocks decativated' and 'rear electric windows unlocked' !!

Worse still I attempted to jump start it from the wife's Mini but it made no difference.

Totally unacceptable for a 12 month old car. Have had to let down a customer I was supposed to be visiting this afternoon.

Leave a comment:

• mfl
    replied
    Originally posted by notfub View Post

I thought of doing the same but then what do you do once the car is on the jack and the wheel is off......there's no spare to go on so you are still stranded.
    When I'm in the city I have the puncture repair kit in the boot, and when heading out of town, I put one of my spare rims/tires in the boot. Yes it does mean if its a front tire, I swap the front and rear around, but thats the same as a space saver, in case of a puncture
    Last edited by mfl; 12-03-21, 04:47.

Leave a comment:

• GeoBog
    replied
    you keep a spare in the boot... simples

Leave a comment:

• notfub
    replied
    Originally posted by mfl View Post

the jack and wrench, came from a wreckers yards - a Megane station wagon from memory, just dropped them into the empty slots under the rear mat..
    I thought of doing the same but then what do you do once the car is on the jack and the wheel is off......there's no spare to go on so you are still stranded.

Leave a comment:

• Minty
    replied
    With time on my hands and google, I keep toying with trading in for a new trophy, I really do like the new interior with actual real buttons and a much improved fascia but this battery issue is putting me off.

I've never traded a car in for the exact same model but I do like this car, well apart from the wipers, I'll do a seperate post, I would have liked the sunroof, dct and maybe liquid yellow.

I wonder what the manufacturers will do with the looming 2030 deadline, will they have a last hurrah, in which case do you wait and see or is this the end now🤔

Leave a comment:

• SplanK
    replied
    Originally posted by Champion Hero View Post

So, new injector module should be going in today hopefully. Apparently Renault have shown interest in investigating the battery - although I've been told they rebuild them rather than give a new one!?
    There is a 19ah lead acid battery inside the unit that is replaceable. So new lead acid battery, but re-used caps/case.

Leave a comment:

• mfl
    replied
    Originally posted by Champion Hero View Post

haha indeed! I did think that! Although I didn't get a jack/wrench in mine!?
    the jack and wrench, came from a wreckers yards - a Megane station wagon from memory, just dropped them into the empty slots under the rear mat..

Leave a comment:

Working...
X