X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BlueJack
    • Mar 2020

AST 5100s

Just thought I'd share that I've had some AST 5100 coilovers fitted to my 300 Trophy. Only a couple of short drives so far but the difference is really noticeable - still firm and controlled but the jarring over bumps around town has almost gone, which was exactly what I was after. Adjustable rebound so hoping in the spring I can test that out on another trackday, but very impressed so far! The only downside is I think it's a bit low for daily use, but that's just a case of adjusting the ride height back up a little bit.
  • Meg#3
    • Aug 2020

Good shout. Thanks for sharing as it’s something that has been on my mind. Always difficult to know whether one can improve on factory set up so will be interesting to know how you get on with some harder miles under the belt. Also would be great if you could post up a picture. I’d imagine the lower height makes the car look even more potent.

Comment

• BlueJack
      • Mar 2020

PXL_20201125_112226631.jpg
      The stock Trophy suspension is great on track but the compliance on broken roads is really poor, so I was keen to see if improvements could be made for real world driving. I was reluctant to do it as I don't like the idea of modifying a basically new car, but I'm glad I did in the end. K-Tec did the work for me after suggesting that it had made a big difference on their own Trophy.

Comment

• Black225
        • Apr 2014

The ride height looks great though.

Comment

• BlueJack
          • Mar 2020

You know what after popping out in it again this morning I think I might agree with you! Maybe I'll leave it for a bit as it is, just avoiding speed bumps...

Comment

• BlueJack
            • Mar 2020

Bit of an update after a couple of longer drives. Super pleased with this upgrade, the car feels noticeably more planted on the road rather than it skipping over bumps. The damping is two clicks off the softest setting and seems right for fast road driving, although I suspect I'd stiffen it up for track work. Turn in feels more positive but also more stable and there's less torque steer under hard acceleration. K-Tec suggested that the 4ws transition would feel more predictable too (a big criticism in the press reviews as we all know) and although I've not had the proper opportunity yet to check that, I don't doubt they're right.

I've also switched to Michelin PS4S tyres as of yesterday and, combined with the ASTs, it's genuinely feels like a different car.

Comment

• Meg#3
              • Aug 2020

Thanks that sound really promising, especially given the weather is not perfect. Some heat in the tyres must take it to another level. What happens with the hydraulic bump stops that Renault made a big fuss about. We’re they removed with the old units?

Comment

• BlueJack
                • Mar 2020

As I understand it, the hydraulic bump stops were built into the standard damper structure, so they've now gone. Must say still super pleased, although I might actually tweak it a couple of clicks stiffer for the road over the Christmas break as it almost bobs a bit over larger bumps on the motorway at the moment.

Comment

• evojkp
                  • Sep 2017

That's excellent feedback mate. This has been on my list for a while and for the reasons you mention above. I'm finding the std trophy suspension 'crashy' on b roads at slower speeds, feeling like my old RS275 on BC's with the heavier rated springs. When you're pushing on its good, but you can't 'push-on' on every journey.

Comment

• Mrchelavi
                    • Jul 2020

Can you draw the line between the comfort of the drive comparing them to the stock suspension? How much stiffer is the drive with coilovers in normal conditions? I'm still using my 280 50% time as a daily driver, so would not like to compromise the comfort too much.

Comment

• BlueJack
                      • Mar 2020

The ASTs are, in my current set up, noticeably more compliant than the standard Trophy suspension, but I don't know relative to the stock non Trophy/Cup set up. I've not been out to tweak the settings yet as a) it's freezing and b) doesn't look like I can get out for a test drive for a while!

Comment

• evojkp
                        • Sep 2017

Any more feedback?

I've been seriously looking at this upgrade after my usual mooch around for a new car, and it was the Nitron upgrade to the Yaris and how that improved the on road compliance, which is what the trophy really needs. Looking at these or possibly the KW V3's or clubsports.

I did have coilovers on my 275 trophy, but upped the spring rate when being fitted. It was awesome on track but a dog on local roads. I want to go the other way and improve the on road manners to enjoy it a bit more.

Comment

• Meg#3
                          • Aug 2020

Originally posted by evojkp View Post
                          Any more feedback?

I've been seriously looking at this upgrade after my usual mooch around for a new car, and it was the Nitron upgrade to the Yaris and how that improved the on road compliance, which is what the trophy really needs. Looking at these or possibly the KW V3's or clubsports.

I did have coilovers on my 275 trophy, but upped the spring rate when being fitted. It was awesome on track but a dog on local roads. I want to go the other way and improve the on road manners to enjoy it a bit more.
                          I’m also following this thread with interest. When I went from my 250 cup to the 275 trophy the ohlins were a must have for me, and they definitely made a difference - it was a far more rounded car.

I regularly tweaked the click settings as it helpfully came with recommended settings for fast road, track, wet etc. I would soften them for long drives with the kids, and varying rates of stiffness at other times. All great, but at the same time I am reluctant to modify a nearly new car. Still, the adjustability and let’s face it, the visual impact is going to sway me - I’m just waiting for my insurance to come up for renewal so I can switch to a company that will cover mods.

In terms of model, that’s very personal. Really appreciate the feedback given above on the ASTs and I also watched the GR Yaris review on the nitrons, but for some reason I am drawn continually to the KWs, V3 not club sport though.

so after this lengthy post, finally get to the point 🙄. Does anyone have experience of KWs?

Comment

• evojkp
                            • Sep 2017

Same train of through as myself mate. Also more drawn to the V3's. Don't know why.

Comment

• BlueJack
                              • Mar 2020

Not much more feedback yet I'm afraid as haven't been doing much with the car for obvious reasons! Two minor things though. 1 I can hear a very faint knocking noise at parking speeds over potholes, not sure it's an issue just perhaps a less refined set up. 2 my alignment has gone wrong - it was set up by K Tech when they did the install but either something's gone loose or a recent car park hit and run (which scratched a rear wheel) was a bigger hit than I thought... Will get that checked out and once the weather warms up, will get underneath and start to play with the settings a bit too.

Comment

Working...
                              X