Brake pads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brake pads

Finally got round to fitting new discs and pads today. I couldn't face paying £900 extra when the car was ordered but £340ish for discs and pads from ktec was a no brainer.
    When I pulled the pads out of the offside, they fell apart. Cars only done 9000 miles.

My two previous cars both had brembo's and I used to regularly strip and clean them, mainly because it's easy to do, however I've never seen anything like this and the other cars had way more miles on them.

I did notice a couple of weeks ago that the brakes were stuck on when I came to use it and they went with a bang bub the other cars did this too, occasionally.

Could it just be from them seizing on or is this normal. I do tend to abuse the brakes when it's just me
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 2 photos.

Is that fronts or rears? It's usually the rears that get stuck on the discs after car sitting too long with the hand brake on. The first time you move the car makes a bang while the pads separate from the disks but all cars do it.
    2019 Renault Megane RS Trophy 300 EDC
    2020 VW T-Cross SEL
    2012 Fiat 500 Twinair
    2007 Renault Megane 2
    ------------------------------------------
    Sports cars are difficult to justify, but easy to love

Comment

Yeah, it's the fronts, I never use the handbrake in the garage.

It's only when the weather is wet. I always dry the brakes off before putting it in the garage after washing, a few good stops from 30 ish, and always give it a blow dry too (only after washing, not driving in the rain lol) but as things are at the minute, the car doesn't get that much use, maybe just the friday big shop and a bit of 'essential travel' now and then.

It had been stood for about 2 weeks. It really did go with a bang though. I thought I'd forgot to put it in gear, the car just wouldn't move!

The thing is, if I hadn't already been changing the brakes and they had been left like that, what would have happened?! I've never seen this before.

It gives me an excuse to go play in the garage in future

Comment

Do you give the brakes a hard time on a regular basis? Could be heat that has caused them to crumble. Could just be a faulty batch of pads too.

Comment

Originally posted by doncarlyon View Post
          Do you give the brakes a hard time on a regular basis? Could be heat that has caused them to crumble. Could just be a faulty batch of pads too.
          Haha, now and then like most people, but no not very often, I wouldn't want milk and eggs all over the boot 🤣

It is what it is, just a bit shocked to see them in such a state.

I like to do a wheels off clean a couple of times a year so I'll just check them at the same time.

Comment

Working...
          X